Why I Quit

I've been reading books and looking at web sites about quiting smoking and all of them say to write down a list of the reasons why you want to quit. I just kept my list in my head. Afterall, isn't it a "No Brainer" to quit smoking? It's dirty, it's expensive, it's unhealthy, blah, blah, blah. I KNOW that. Why in the hell should I waste my time and write it down?!?! Then it dawned on me, I can use the list later to remind myself of why I quit (the books should really spell this out better)! Of course I'm smart but how smart will I be when that monkey on my back weighs 500 pounds and all I can think of is how much I NEED a cig? So, with this in mind, I picked up a pen and started to write.

WHAT IF I LOSE THIS PIECE OF PAPER? (My inner voice can be very loud when it wants to.)

I think a blog would be better. I'll have it to look when I need to, I won't loose it and maybe someone else will read it and it will help.

Anyway, here's the list.

Basic reasons everyone has
1. It's expensive
2. It's dirty
3. It smells bad (it really does, Febreeze isn't cutting it either)
4. It causes cancer and other serious health problems
5. My dad's been on my ass for years to quit

My main reason
I realized that smoking controls my life. From the moment I wake until I sleep, cigarettes run the show.
"Do I need to stop on my way to work to get cigs or do I have enough to get me to work?"
"Do I need to buy a pack from the news stand next door or can I make it to the store?"
"Do a have enough to last me until tomorrow morning, or do I need to stop at the store on the way home?"
"Are we going out for dinner? If so, is there smoking there or do I need to stop and smoke on the way in."
"Where's my lighter?"
Every where I go I look for ashtrays and no smoking signs.
Smoking controls all I do!

This is reason that I will be a non-smoker!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

Congratulations, and happy new year!

I've quit dozens of times, and finally got it to stick. My parents were smokers my entire childhood, and I hated everything about it, especially how my locker and bologna sandwiches smelled. I was surprised I started, but got pretty hooked.

So, keep up the effort, keep writing about it, the wins and the crappy parts.

Michele sent me!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep writing!