Paul Anka - Rock Swings  

I love quirky covers. You know, the ones you hear that catch you of guard. Like Marilyn Mason's Sweet Dreams and a few of the songs David Cook did on Idol this year. So when I was watching So You Think You Can Dance and one of the songs was a cover of a Bon Jovi song by none other than Paul Anka, I knew I had to have it. It was the song It's My Life off of Paul Anka's 2005 CD, Rock Swings.

Let me tell you, Rock definitely does Swing! This is an awesome CD! There is a reason that the Big Band sound is popular for Ballroom dancing. The minute the first song started, I started (trying) to glide across the floor. The great thing about this CD is that I know all the words!

In addition to It's My Life, there's Eye of the Tiger, Everybody Hurts, Wonderwall, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Hello, Eye Without a Face, The Way You Make Me Feel, and my new favorite Jump. That's right, I said Jump by Van Halen. I think I like this version better then the original.

If you're like me and quirky songs interest you, then Rock Swings is a must! Let me know how you like it!


This entry was posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

I have to prove my coolness by pointing to this blog post from 3 years ago: http://thepopeye.blogspot.com/2005/07/whats-in-beckeyes-ear.html

That said, I still never bought that Anka album!

I picked up a free copy of "Rock Swings" a few years ago from my place of business. When I saw the track listing, I couldn't resist. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the CD is. I liked that Paul adapted the songs to his style instead of trying to do them with rock arrangements... that would have been a huge mistake.